A Village Community
BRAMFORD is a large village situated about a mile north west of Ipswich, the County town of Suffolk.
There is archaeological evidence to show a domestic settlement existed here in Roman times, but the first official records are in the Domesday Book of 1086. Some local amenities and street signs still carry the names of prominent families once resident in the village, Acton, Loraine, and Broke. Find more of Bramford's history, including The Great Fire and a lengthy poem on the 'Bramford Ghost' here...
The oldest building in the village, probably built on an earlier pagan site of worship, is the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, however, many outlying farmhouses and some houses in the main street through the village date back four or five hundred years, the oldest of these being the former Bell Inn.
The largest expansion of the village took place in the 1960’s, although smaller areas of housing are still being added to this day.
The River Gipping passes through the village and was once a navigable waterway carrying goods from Ipswich to Stowmarket, and now offers a delightful river-side walk.
Bramford has always been an agricultural community, although remnants of its industrial past still exist along Paper Mill Lane. The old Fison's warehouses originally produced cloth before chemical fertiliser manufacturers took over in the 19th Century. The largest of the three semi-circular warehouses still standing on the site is listed as the only example of its kind left in the country.